It is a commonly asked question that what is a difference between a piano and a keyboard.
Today, we’ll be answering this question for you.
Both the instruments are pretty similar, even the concepts are same for learning but there are some subtle differences between the two.
- Sound: Piano is an acoustic instrument, whereas keyboards are electronic instruments. There are a variety of sound options on the keyboard, it can produce sounds like that of a piano, strings, synthesizers, and more. Pianos do not have such variety, neither do they have any volume buttons. The sound is produced and amplified physically in a piano.
- Number of Keys: A standard piano has 88 keys, where as many keyboards now a days have less than 88 keys. The keyboard can also have 88 keys, but the number of keys depend on the kind of model you are planning to buy.
- Key Arrangement: Arrangement of keys on both, piano and keyboard, is identical, therefore, your hand and finger movements will also be identical. However, there’s a slight difference in the size of the keys. Keys in a keyboard are slightly narrower in width as compared to a piano. This minor difference doesn’t make much of a difference even if you are switching between the two instruments every now and then.
- Cost: Keyboards are generally cheaper than pianos. Cost of a piano can be very high depending on the manufacturer, material and design. If you are planning to take piano lessons, then you can learn to play it on the keyboard as the concepts are same and you can transfer the same skills on a piano. Since pianos are so expensive, you can buy it once you are trained in playing the instrument and are completely confident about it.
- Portability: Pianos are gigantic and generally designed to stay at one place, hence it can be difficult to transport it. On the other hand, keyboards are smaller in size, weight less and pretty easy to transport. So, if you are a travelling musician then a keyboard is the right choice for you.
- Maintenance: Its important to keep your instruments in good condition so that they last longer and you get the best out of it. It is suggested to clean your keyboard or piano regularly so that its quality doesn’t deteriorate.
So, now you know the difference between a piano and a keyboard. As discussed above, the difference isn’t much but it all depends on the preference of the musician. Some enjoy playing the piano more while other enjoy playing a keyboard. Piano lessons or keyboard lessons, both are pretty similar things. You can become a pianist by learning on a keyboard, and you can become a keyboard artist by learning on a piano. All you have to do is get up and book a piano/keyboard lesson for yourself. Toronto offers a wide range of music schools which provide excellent training.